10 Tips To Drive Away Stress
by Ng Peng Hock
If you do have a healthy diet with moderate exercise, but you are constantly under stress, there is still a possibility that you will become a candidate of heart disease. But one may tell you this: in the present competitive world, how can you live without stress? In reality, you can never escape stress. When you are young, you need to face one examination after another. After graduation, you will face competition from your peers when you apply for jobs. After you get your jobs, you will have to fight with colleagues for promotion. And then you probably need to challenge with your competitors when you decide to start your family with your loved one. And there are many more incidents that could bring you stress of different multitudes. So, you need to manage your stress probably.
The following tips suggested by experts may help you to a certain extend to relieve or reduce your stress level.
1. Exercise - Exercise causes the brain to release endorphins that ease pain and produce a sense of comfort and euphoria. People who have moderate exercise (not over exercise which will cause otherwise) actually go to sleep faster, are more refreshed, have sharper memory, better reaction time, and concentrate better. So pick one or two of your favorite games or sports.
2. Take things step by step - Deal with changes one at a time, as much as you can.
3. Organize your time - Prioritize and schedule for breaks. Try to rank all tasks in the order of importance and start from the most important one.
4. Break down your tasks - Subdivide every task, especially those complicated ones, into smaller tasks or steps. In this way, you will have a clearer picture of what you must do first and how much time you will need to accomplish it. Then, do give yourself enough time to finish it.
5. Make your worrying count - Do worry about things that you can really do something about.
6. Be realistic about your expectation - You should know your own limits and abilities. Always ask for help if you need it.
7. Look inwards - Do not overreact. Look at the facts and do not just go with your feeling. Sometimes, looking at things from another angle may actually relieve you from having unnecessary stress.
8. Make time for family and friends - Spend some time with your loved ones. Talk things out with them.
9. Wind down the day - Take some time to unwind at the end of the day. For example, you could have a warm bath or read a comic or anything you like to do.
10. Learn to relax - Do deep breathing, muscle relaxation exercises, and have a massage or visualize pleasant scenes.
About the Author
Heart Disease Prevention -